- Selecting energy-efficient office equipment and turning off machines when they are not in use can result in significant energy savings.
- Using an ENERGY STAR-labeled computer can save 30%-65% energy than computers without this designation, depending on usage.
- Spending a large portion of time in low-power mode not only saves energy but helps equipment run cooler and last longer.
- Putting your laptop AV adaption on a power strip that can be turned off (or will turn off automatically) can maximize savings; the transformer in the AC adapter draws power continuously, even when the laptop is not plugged into the adapter.
- Using the power management settings on computers and monitors can cause significant savings.
- It is a common misperception that screen savers reduce a monitor’s energy use. Use automatic switching to sleep mode or simply turn it off.
Consider buying a laptop for your next computer upgrade; laptops use much less energy than desktop computers.
Shop for these ENERGY STAR® Office Products:
- Fax machines
- Multifunction devices (fax, scanner, and copier)