Finding A Professional Renovator
When you hire a renovator, you are buying a service rather than a product. The quality of the service the renovator provides will determine the quality of your renovation; the finished product and your satisfaction with it.
Get a List - the first step to hiring a professional is to build a list of candidates, and flipping through the Yellow Pages is not necessarily the ideal method. Below is a link to the list of the Regina & Region Home Builders’ Association RenoMark™ renovators.
Here is why you should hire a RenoMark™ renovator for your home renovation projects:
- Members believe in professionalism. They are committed to their industry and to their businesses and are willing to pay annual dues to keep informed and to help educate consumers as well.
- Members have legitimate business licenses. They do not support the underground economy of renovators who avoid paying taxes and operate "fly-by-night" and "cash only" businesses.
- Members are informed. Information and education are important benefits of membership. Our members are the first to know about changes in building codes, municipal requirements, health and safety regulations and more through our courses, information sessions, and communications program.
- Members are "in-the-loop". It makes sense to hire a renovator that is part of an extensive home building and renovating industry network. Our members are in touch with manufacturers, suppliers, and experienced sub-contractors. They know what's new and where to get it.
- Members offer peace-of-mind. Joining our program is your sign that a renovator is concerned about fair and honest quotes and reliable start and finish dates. They understand that keeping the lines of communication wide open is the key to a successful job.
- Members comply with the association’s general code of ethics applicable to all members plus a renovation-specific code of conduct. It's all about integrity. Our members believe in treating not only their clients appropriately, but also deal fairly with sub-contractors and employees.
- Members offer a wealth of advice. Put them to work for you in the planning stages of your renovation. Our members can offer design and technical advice to achieve designs you may not have thought possible. They are one call away.
- Members take care of the details. Hiring a professional means that the details like ensuring all sub-contractors have Workers Compensation Board coverage, necessary approvals and permits are in place, and obtaining the appropriate insurance are not only taken care of, they are readily available to you for your assurance.
- Members offer a warranty. A contractor committed to professionalism will offer you the coverage you need. Under the table deals leave you no recourse - so make sure your renovator spells it out on paper. Our members can also provide you with a written list of referrals so you can check on their performance and expertise.
- Members are part of the RRHBA – a crucial first step in knowing that you’ve hired a professional.
The RenoMark™ Code of Conduct
RenoMark™ members have agreed to abide by the following:
- Be a member in good standing of the Regina & Region Home Builders' Association.
- Abide by the RRHBA Code Of Ethics.
- Provide a detailed, written contract/scope of work for all jobs.
- Offer a minimum two-year warranty on all work (excludes minor home repair).
- Carry a minimum of $2 million liability insurance.
- Have coverage for workplace safety and employers' liability and/or work only with subcontractors who carry such coverage.
- Carry applicable licenses and permits.
- Maintain a professional level of knowledge of current building codes, permit procedures, and technical skills through continuing education.
- Maintain a safe and organized worksite.
- Return phone calls within two business days.